Thursday 5 October 2017

Graceful Investment with age

Scenario:

At the age of 24, I was doing my master and stumble upon the idea of investing. Investing was the only way out for me as I was not allowed to work during my tutelage. So, I took up investing as a source of investment. However, investment was difficult for me initially. I stumble and fall and usually, my investment result is "2 steps forward, 3 steps backward."

So, I started reading books on investment. However, nearly all the book on investment only guide the "middle class" to be "rich." These books define the middle class as those with 1 million and above. But, where and how can I get a million dollar?

Therefore, I started researching on medium call derivatives. It is a very dangerous instrument - "like the sword of domiciles - either you make it to the cathedral of success or the chicken coop" or in other words "make you rich beyond imagination or heavily in debt due to total losses."

As a result, my asset was spinning like a "yoyo" throughout my 20s - 40s.

As I am approaching my senior age, I decided that I need to embark on another concept, which is "slow and steady growth" as I am not as young as before and I cannot stomach and make back any big potential loss or setback.

So, I would convert more from playing based on speculation (like George Soros) to more value investing (like Benjamin Graham) which allocate more on "paying a penny for dollar" and growth investor (like Peter Lynch) which allocate more on "putting his money, where his mouth is".

We need to sail, within certain parameters to be successful, it is our belief system that makes us or breaks us - like what Disney says "When I believe in Miracles."

Therefore, here in an evolving timeline for investor

1) 20-40 years - Energetic, young, entrepreneurship - going for most high risk, high gain company

2) 40-60 years - Mature - going for value for money investing, if you are not rich by then, don't fumble on, we should be thinking on "security" rather than "gain" at this age.

3) > 60 years - Serving God or a higher purpose and making sure that all our family's needs are well taken care of, so that, we don't have any unfinished business when we are called by the lord.


"Time and Experience waits for no man."


Good Luck! Amigo!


Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Lion.  

1 comment:

  1. My journey into wealth creation started right from 1st paycheck thru savings n later placement of fds. Know nuts abt stock investment then. It was only after getting esos and ipos which saw the growth in my portfolio, makes me continue to pursue my passion to grow my money more n more n more. In His grace, i was blessed to build a solid fund n trying to grow it continuosly for charity as well. Hence punting stocks was nvr of interest. Amen

    ReplyDelete